There are numerous formal systems of modal logic, which are differentiated
by which axioms and inference rules they add to classical logic. The
attached diagram shows the most discussed ones, arranged from weakest
(left) to strongest (right) and showing how they are contained within each
other. As indicated, those in the bottom row treat only classical
tautologies and (for S1-S3) their added modal axioms as necessarily true,
while the others extend this to all their theorems; in fact, that is the
sole difference between S0.5 and T (sometimes called M). C. I. Lewis
introduced S1-S5, and the two strongest of these are now generally
considered to be the "best" for most purposes, as John P. Burgess observes.

JPB: The question Which is the right validity logic? has been answered at
the sentential level, which is the only level that will be considered here:
it is the system known as *S5*. This result is essentially established
already in Carnap (1946).
The question Which is the right demonstrability logic? goes back to the
earliest days of modern modal logic. ... To the extent that there is any
consensus or plurality view among logicians today, I take the view to be
that the right demonstrability logic is *S4*. (
https://doi.org/10.1305/ndjfl/1039096306, 1999, p. 82)

On the other hand, John L. Pollock proposes a "Basic Modal Logic" and calls
it B, although it is very different from the system named B after L. E. J.
Brouwer and shown in the attachment as containing T and contained in S5 but
independent of S4. Pollock's approach is to eliminate all "iterated"
modalities, which correspond to compounded expressions like "possibly
possible" and "necessarily possibly necessary." He describes his motivation
and results as follows (https://www.jstor.org/stable/2270778, 1967).

JLP: [W]hen philosophers and logicians *apply* modal logic to concrete
problems, they rarely need principles which involve iterated modalities.
For most practical purposes, principles involving only one layer of
modalities are all that are needed. This suggests that if we try to
construct a theory of modal logic in which there are no iterated
modalities, we can avoid most of the controversy and still have a theory
that is strong enough for all of the normal uses to which modal logic is
put. (p. 355)

JLP: [A]ll of the controversy over which theory of propositional modal
logic is correct stems from disagreement about principles involving
iterated modalities. S1-S5 and M[=T] are the most common theories of
propositional modal logic, and ... we see that they all give exactly the
same theorems not involving iterated modalities. Thus there is a very real
sense in which B is *basic* modal logic. B gives us the core theorems that
everyone accepts. (p. 363)

Jean Porte summarizes, "Indeed, *S1-S5* and Feys' *T* all have the same
theses of modal degree at most one and, among the systems which have this
property, *S5* is the strongest, and *S0.5* is the weakest" (
https://doi.org/10.1305/ndjfl/1093883250, 1980, p. 672). In other words,
all theorems of S5 in which no propositional variable is within the scope
of more than one modal operator, which together comprise Pollock's B, are
also theorems of S0.5-S4 and T, as well as the Brouwer-inspired B.
Moreover, "A formula of modal order greater than one is a thesis of S0.5 if
and only if it is a substitution instance of a first-order thesis" (p. 675).

Accordingly, Pollock's B matches E. J. Lemmon's original specification for
S0.5 (https://www.jstor.org/stable/2964179, 1957, pp. 180-181), except that
such substitution is precluded. Lemmon even anticipates this in a footnote,
referencing William T. Parry's brief suggestion of the same idea, which he
calls S.1 (https://www.jstor.org/stable/2266559, 1953, p. 328). As
indicated in the attachment, without such a limitation, infinitely many
higher-degree modalities are irreducible in all the systems shown except
S3-S5. Even in S3 and S4, there are 42 and 14 non-equivalent modalities,
respectively.

By contrast, as G. E. Hughes and M. J. Cresswell point out, "Every formula
of higher than first degree is reducible in S5 to a first-degree formula."
They go on to present "an effective procedure for reducing any wff of
higher than first degree to one of first degree by equivalence
transformations" (
http://www.stoqatpul.org/lat/materials/huges_cresswell_modal_logic.pdf, 1996,
pp. 98-101). Jean-Louis Gardies adds, "Due to this, every thesis of S5 may
be related to a thesis being its translation in [Pollock's] B," although
"different theses of S5 may have the same corresponding thesis of the first
modal degree" (
https://filozof.uni.lodz.pl/~filozof/wp-content/uploads/logicatr/Gardies2.pdf,
1998, p. 32).

Personally, I find this very appealing. After all, what does it mean to
assert, "There is some possible state of things where there would be some
possible state of things where the proposition A would be true"? Why and
how is it different from merely asserting, "There is some possible state of
things where A would be true"? As I noted previously, a fundamental
principle of pragmaticism is that there are *real* possibilities, namely,
those accessible from the *actual* state of things. With that in mind,
since B is already taken, perhaps Pollock's "basic" system should instead
be named P for him along with Parry, Peirce, and pragmaticism

Regards,

Jon S.

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 7:49 PM Jon Alan Schmidt <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>