Jeff, List:

Again, my sketch is not a deductive argumentation "proceeding upon
definitely formulated premisses." Nevertheless, what do you consider to be
"the key premisses in the 1903 attempt to offer a defense of pragmatism"?

According to Nathan Houser, "In his Harvard Lectures, Peirce built his case
for pragmatism on a new theory of perception, grounded in his theory of
categories and on results from phenomenology, esthetics, and ethics" (EP
2:xxv). None of these subjects appears in my sketch, which instead has more
in common with the "proof from Peirce's theory of signs" that Houser
reconstructs from the 1907 drafts for an introductory article (EP
2:xxxv-xxxvi).

That said, none of Peirce's restatements and elaborations of his maxim of
pragmatism that I compiled from those lectures says anything about them,
either--except his famous concluding remark, "The elements of every concept
enter into logical thought at the gate of perception and make their exit at
the gate of purposive action; and whatever cannot show its passports at
both those two gates is to be arrested as unauthorized by reason" (CP
5.212, EP 2:241, 1903). Even here, it seems clear that perception has to do
with the *object *of a concept, while pragmatism has to do with its
(ultimate logical) *interpretant*.

Regards,

Jon