List,

I came upon these quotations today from *Einstein and the Poet: In Search
of the Cosmic Man*:

"I like to experience the Universe as one harmonious whole. Every cell has
life. Matter, too, has life; it is energy solidified..."
"The basic laws of the Universe are simple, but because our senses are
limited, we can’t grasp them. There is a pattern in creation."
"If we look at this tree outside whose roots search beneath the pavement
for water, or a flower which sends its sweet smell to the pollinating bees,
or even our own selves and the inner forces that drive us to act, we can
see that we all dance to a mysterious tune, and the piper who plays this
melody from an inscrutable distance—whatever name we give him—Creative
Force, or God—escapes all book knowledge.."
"[A cosmic religion] has no dogma other than teaching man that the Universe
is rational and that his highest destiny is to ponder it and co-create with
its laws.."
"The soul given to each of us is moved by the same living spirit that moves
the Universe."
~Albert Einstein
Source of Quotes: Einstein and the Poet: In Search of the Cosmic Man
(1983). From a series of meetings William Hermanns had with Einstein in
1930, 1943, 1948, and 1954.
See: How Einstein Saw the World
https://creativesystemsthinking.wordpress.com/.../how.../
<https://creativesystemsthinking.wordpress.com/2014/02/16/how-einstein-saw-the-world/?fbclid=IwAR0ZuavlHYcE39uemJNDosvdfbC0_P0AI7q6usO41jdX7TwpFulTHrJs7m4>

This immediately reminded me of something Gary Fuhrman posted to his blog a
day or so before. There he juxtaposed a famous passage from the *Tao Te
Ching* with a thought of Peirce to the effect that God does not 'exist'
but, like the Tao, is 'real'. Water surely exists, but does its *flow*
exist? There's no question that the water's flow is *real* enough.

Slightly shortened and edited excerpts from Fuhrman's blog post:

The highest good is like water.
Water gives life to the ten thousand things and does not strive.
It flows in places people reject and so is like the Tao.— Tao Te Ching 8
(Feng/English)
A comment on this text by Wang Pi: "The Tao does not exist, but water does.
Hence, it only approaches the Tao."
[Fuhrman] Does the flow of water exist? Does energy flow exist? We can say
it does when we see work being done, some purpose being served. But what
determines which product or service exists or occurs as a result of the
process? The Way it works.
Charles S. Peirce would agree with Wang Pi that the highest good (or God)
does not exist, but is real, because it ‘determines the suchness of that
which may come into existence, when it does come into existence’.

Fuhrman adds: "Who or what is that good for?"

Here are a few additional short quotations from *How Einstein Saw the
World:*

"Religion and science go together. As I’ve said before, science without
religion is lame and religion without science is blind. They are
interdependent and have a common goal—the search for truth."
"Through my pursuit in science I have known cosmic religious feelings."
"The world needs new moral impulses which, I’m afraid, won’t come from the
churches, heavily compromised as they have been throughout the centuries."
Albert Einstein

Best,

Gary Richmond