Jon,

I completely agree with the following principle:

JA> Another aspect of a sign's complete meaning concerns the reference a sign
has to its interpretants...

And there are six kinds of reference that a sign my have to its interpretants.
Each kind corresponds to one of the six basic question words in English (or
their equivalents in other languages).  Questions that begin with the first
four question words may be answers with one word or phrase:  Who, What, When,
and Where.  Any such question may be answered with one word or phrase and a
MONADIC relation.

Questions that begin with How can be answered in a sentence with a dyadic verb,
a DYADIC relation.

And questions that begin with Why require require a sentence with a verb that
requires a subject, object, and an indirect object or  a prepositional phrase:
a TRIADIC relation.

In short, that is the distinction between Peirce's Firstness, Secondness, and
Thirdness.  The monadic relations of Firstness express answers to the words
Who, What, When, or Where,  The dyadic relations of Secondness express answers
to the word How.  And the triadic relations of Thirdness answer questions to
the word Why.

In summary. all examples of Thirdness are answers to Why-questions.  They all
express some kind of intention or purpose or explanation or reason for the
triadic connection.