Helmut,

Thanks for mentioning the word 'because'.   That's another way to explain the
3-way connection that answers a why-question,  In general, every instance of
thirdness that relates (A B C) can be explained by a sentence of the form "A is
related to B because C."    But some linguistic transformations may be needed
to transform the answer sentence into the syntactic form of a because-sentence,
 Some transformations may sound awkward, but they would be intelligible answers.

For your question:  The simplest way to show that a four-way connection can be
reduced to two three-way connections is to draw a diagram.   To avoid going to
my drawing tools, I'll just explain how you can draw the diagram with a pencil
and paper

First draw a large dot that is connected to A, B, C, and D.

Then translate that four-way connection to two three way connections.  Start by
drawing two dots:  Then connect the one on the left to A and B, and the one on
the right to C and D.  You now have two two-way connections.

Now draw a line that connects both of the dots.  As a result, the left dot has
three connections:  A, B, and the dot on the right.  And the dot on the right
also has three connections:  C, D, and the dot on the left.

You can repeat this procedure for reducing a dot that connects A, B, C, D, and
E to a middle dot that has three connections:  the first to the A, B pair, the
second to the C, D pair, and the third to E.

For 6, the dot in the middle will connect to three pairs, A,B, C,D, E,F,

For 7 and 8, the dot in the middle will have four connections.  Use the
procedure for A,B,C,D to split a 4-way connection to two 3-way connections.
Then keep going for as many connections as you need.

John

From: "Helmut Raulien" <h.raul...@gmx.de>
Supplement: Ok, I can access Commens Dictionary again!
John, List,

The answer to "why", "because" always needs two premisses, with itself being
the third. So a thirdness is the answer to "why". Firstness can just say "I".
Secondness is a second following a first, and so can say "I am". Obviously,
just by having a first for predecessor, not because of something (An observer
can say, that it can say "I am", because of that, but the secondness,
subjectively, cannot say so, as it doesn´t have the ability of inference. It
only has the propositional ability to say "I am"). Thirdness can say "I am,
because", because a cause (an argument) needs two sequentally related ancestors
to be one. I really think, that the Peircean categories basicly, like this,
rely on the sheer numbers one, two, three.

BTW, I have two questions:

-Can I see anywhere in the internet the mathematical proof, that a triad is
irreducible, but a four-ad is reducible?

-I donot have access anymore to the Commens Dictionary. Is something wrong with
my computer, or with the website?

Best, helmut