John, List:

Up until the off-List message that you sent me late Saturday evening, we
were having a respectful and substantive discussion despite our ongoing
disagreements. I am disappointed that this is no longer the case and
inclined to refrain from any further engagement after one more attempt to
set the record straight.

JFS: The critical additions [for a proof of pragmatism] are closely related
to what Peirce specified in L376. I call that material a specification of
Delta graphs. I don't care what you call it. The specifications are
important. The names are irrelevant.

The name is relevant when it is one that Peirce himself used. If he had
never mentioned a Delta part of EGs at all, then anyone would be free to
invent one and give it that name. However, he *did *mention it, albeit in
only one sentence-- "I shall now have to add a *Delta *part in order to
deal with modals"--so no one should misleadingly use the name "Delta
graphs" for anything that deviates from or goes well beyond this very brief
description. As I have explicitly and repeatedly acknowledged, unless
additional pages of R L376 turn up that spell it out, *no one* can know for
sure exactly what he had in mind. That is why I have carefully and
consistently referred to the notation that he scribed on R 339:[340r] as a
*candidate* for Delta EGs.

JFS: I realize that you insist in ignoring everything but the first two
paragraphs of L376. I believe that is a serious mistake. You are
deliberately putting blinders on your eyes. I think that we can all agree
that it's unwise to reject anything Peirce wrote just because of some
preconceived notion that it's irrelevant.

On the contrary, I am not ignoring *anything *in R L376, and I have no
preconceived notions about it. I am simply reading and explaining what
the *entire
*extant text actually says--and does not say. Again, the "many papers"
correspond to different *subjects *that attract "the common attention" of
the utterer and interpreter at different times, such that *together *they
represent the entire universe of discourse. This is not new or innovative
in 1911--it echoes what Peirce had already written at least twice
previously, as I have demonstrated with exact quotations (
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2024-03/msg00004.html). Nothing
precludes using the "many papers" with Alpha, Beta, or Gamma EGs--they do
not "deal with modals" and are not otherwise unique to Delta EGs.

Cheers,

Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USA
Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt