Mike, List:

I agree that the interchange was (generally) enjoyable and enlightening,
and I am sorry that it ultimately became contentious and tiresome--I am not
interested in "slugging it out" further. I also agree that John Sowa has
much of value to say about EGs and logic, especially as applied in computer
science and artificial intelligence research, from which we all can learn.
I would not be surprised if combining the "many papers" concept from R L376
with the use of metalanguage has all the important practical applications
that he anticipates--but it is *his own *idea, not Peirce's. Accordingly, my
only major objection to his article-in-progress is the unqualified claim in
its title and proposed content that it describes what *Peirce *had in mind
for Delta EGs, which indeed is "not backed sufficiently by Peirce's own
statements."

As far as I know, no other Peirce scholar has ever suggested that his
December 1911 letter to Risteen presents a "specification" of Delta EGs,
presumably because there is no basis in the text itself for such an
interpretation. In fact, there is nothing in its extant 19 pages that deals
with modals or is otherwise unique to the new Delta part. As Peirce himself
says up-front, "the Conventions, the Rules, and the working of the System"
are "a cross division"--*orthogonal *to the division into the
Alpha/Beta/Gamma parts in "the better exposition of 1903," and thus
applicable to *all *of them. This includes the "many papers" concept for
the phemic sheet, where different pages contain graphs about different
subjects that the utterer and interpreter give their "common attention" at
different times, which is not novel in 1911--it reiterates something that
Peirce had stated at least twice previously. Moreover ...

   - Peirce's 1898 and 1903 notations for metalanguage are *identical*,
   except that the oval and line are lightly drawn in the former and dotted in
   the latter.
   - Peirce never again uses *either *of these notations in manuscripts
   after 1903, so it is equally unlikely that he would have revived *either
   *of them in 1911.
   - Peirce's "red pencil" notation in R 514 has nothing to do with
   metalanguage--it turns an entire sheet into nested cuts for implication,
   with the antecedent (postulates) in the margin and the consequent
   (theorems) inside the red line.
   - Those pages in R 514 are among the "Fragments on Existential Graphs"
   that properly belong there and are dated 1909, not from the misfiled letter
   to Kehler of June 1911 (R L231) that includes a "tutorial" on EGs (NEM
   3:162-169).

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt