Jerry, List:

I have corrected the typo, changing "synergism" to "synechism" below.

Again, from the standpoint of metaphysics, I understand the constitution of
contingent being to be an inexhaustible continuum (3ns) of indefinite
possibilities (1ns), some of which are actualized (2ns). Material reality
corresponds to the last part--existence, reaction, discrete 2ns. In
Peirce's words, "The whole universe of true and real possibilities forms a
continuum, upon which this Universe of Actual Existence is, by virtue of
the essential 2ns of Existence, a discontinuous mark--like a line figure
drawn on the area of the blackboard" (NEM 4:345, 1898). Summarized (by
Peirce) as a *substance *ontology, "matter is effete mind" (CP 6.25, EP
1:293, 1891), "mere specialized and partially deadened mind" (CP 6.102, EP
1:312, 1892), "mind hidebound with habits" (CP 6.158, EP 1:331, 1892).
Summarized (by me) as a *process *ontology, discrete things and their
dyadic reactions are degenerate outcomes of continuous and triadic semiosis.

The intrinsic discreteness of numbers is precisely why Peirce repeatedly
refers to the (so-called) real numbers as a "pseudo-continuum." Treating
them as if they were truly continuous--or even positing a
"supermultitudinous" collection as truly continuous, which he advocated for
a while--is the "bottom-up" approach that he ultimately rejected in favor
of the "top-down" topical conception. Instead of the discrete parts being
real and the whole being an *ens rationis*, the continuous whole is real
and the parts are *entia rationis*. After all, "The hypotheses of
mathematics relate to systems which are either finite collections, infinite
collections, or true continua; and the modes of reasoning about these three
are quite distinct" (CP 1.283, 1902). In the subsequent sentences, Peirce
identifies topical geometry as the study of true continua, then situates
both arithmetic (rational numbers) and calculus (real numbers) within the
study of infinite collections.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt