Jean-Marc says:

Of course, not to restart an old debate... I am curious about how the
following lines are going to be interpreted:

"We have a direct knowledge of real objects in every experiential
reaction, whether of /Perception/ or of /Exertion/ (the one theoretical,
the other practical). These are directly /hic et nunc/. But we extend
the category, and speak of numberless real objects with which we are not
in direct reaction. We have also direct knowledge of qualities in
feeling, peripheral and visceral. But we extend this category to
numberless characters of which we have no immediate consciousness."

REPLY:

As I recall it, Jean-Marc, the main bone of contention in that earlier
discussion had to do with whether or not direct knowledge is to be construed
as unmediated  and thus with the relation of the distinction direct/indirect
and the distinction immediate/mediate, and this in the context of questions
about his analysis of perception generally.  I see no reason not to raise
that "old debate" once again in hopes of coming to a better understanding of
it than we could agree upon then.  I think, though, that I would prefer to
get into that only after we get ourselves better situated in respect to what
is going on in general in the New Elements.  Overall, I find the rationale
of it baffling.  It is not a complete paper of course, but even considered
as only an intended preface to a book on the logic of mathematics, it is
seems puzzlingly incomplete, at the least.  Why does he start off with the
theory vs. practice distinction?  What does that have to do with the logic
of math?  And what exactly does he have in mind in distinguishing the
theoretical from the practical?  Is this the same as what we would now
identify as the distinction between theoretical science and engineering? Or
what he elsewhere calls practical sciences?   Or is it rather the
distinction between the normative science of logic and the normative science
of ethics? (A certain parallel with something in John Locke suggests this
possibility to me.)   Assuming this was written in 1904, he has been doing
the classification of the sciences stuff for some time, but how does this
distinction fit in with the distinctions he draws there? Maybe I'm missing
the obvious, and it may turn out not to be important, anyway, but it seems
worth raising a question about initially.

I intended to get a bit further into this, taking up the three connections
of the sign with truth in the first part of Part III, which seems to me to
parallel the three references (to the ground, to the correlate, and to the
interpretant) in the New List, but I'm under siege from something flu-like
or maybe a bad cold and getting so groggy I had best stop with this much for
the moment.

Joe Ransdell