Jim Platt wrote (in part):
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jim Piat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: "Peirce Discussion Forum" <peirce-l@lyris.ttu.edu>
> Subject: [peirce-l] Re: Existent vs Real
> Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 12:02:23 -0500
>

> Dear Iving,
>
> Thanks for those observation.

-------
It is important to understand that I was running on memory here, and I'm
certain that there are plenty of folks on this list who can be of better
service in respect to explicating Meinong's ontology. Judging from the growing
amount of recent books on Meinong, I would think that his ideas have begun to
overcome the stigma attached to them by Russell in "On Denoting" (1905). I do
recommend looking at Meinong's original, before going to the many commentaries.
I recall that even Nick Griffin, a respected Russell scholar, published a paper
in which he argued that Russell played somewhat fast and loose with Meinong's
ideas, both when reviewing Meinong's writings and when working out the theory
of descriptions in "On Denoting" as a way to get rid of existence claims about
uch inconvenient entities as round squares, Pegasus and the present King of
France. As I recall, the best presentation that Meinong gave of his theory was
in his "Ueber Gegenstaende hoeherer Ordnung...", the theme of which, if not the
opening line of which, ran something like: "Es gibt keine Vorstellungen ohne
etwas zu vorstellen."

Irving Anellis