Here is another Century Dictionary definition.  I have omitted the synonyms
for "encyclopedia" in other languages and also the Greek etymology because
of difficulties in reproduction here and lack of time to compensate for
that, but I should mention that the "cyclo" part of it originates in the
idea that the sciences were thought of as forming a circle of some sort and
the "paidia" part alludes to the idea of the instruction of youth.  This
definition is NOT due to Peirce but it is, I think, pertinent here for other
reasons.  Here it is:

 ENCYCLOPEDIA, ENCYCLOPAEDIA . . .

1. The circle of sciences; a general system of instruction in several or all
departments of knowledge.

And therefore, in this encyclopedie and round of know1edge like the great
and exemplary wheels of heaven, we must observe two circles.

Sir T. Browne, Vulg. Err., To the Reader.

Some by this art have become universally learned in a far larger compass
than the old reputed encyclopedy.

Boyle. Works, VI. 335.

To Systematic Theology belongs also formal Encyclopaedia, or an exhibition
of theology as an organic whole, showing the relationship of the different
parts, and their proper function and aim.

Schaff, Christ and Christianity, p. 5.

Specifically--2. A work in which the various topics included under several
or all branches of knowledge are treated separately, and usually in
alphabetical order.

It [a public library] should be rich in hooks of reference, in
encyclopaedias, where one may learn without cost of research what things are
generally known. For it is far more useful to know these than to know those
that are not generally known.

Lowell, Books and Libraries.

3. In a narrower sense, a cyclopedia. See cyclopedia, 1.

Abbreviated enc., ency., encyc.

French Encyclopedia (Encyclop¨die ou Dictionnaire raisonn¨ des sciences,
etc.), a celebrated French work in 28 folio volumes (including 11 volumes of
plates), the first of which appeared in 1751 and the last in 1765. Five
volumes of supplements were issued in 1776-7, and two volumes of index in
1780, the complete work thus consisting of 35 volumes folio. The chief
editor was Diderot, who was assisted by D'Alembert, and many of the great
contemporary literary men of France (hence called the encyclopedists)
contributed to it. From the skeptical character of many of the articles, the
work excited the bitterest ecclesiastical enmity, and had no small part in
bringing about the state of public opinion which prepared the way for the
French revolution.