Dear Ben / Gary:

First, my apologies to Gary. My dyslexia kicks in at the strangest times. I read "Gary" and typed "Jim"!
Second, I was unaware of possibility of a "movie".  I will try it.
I presume I will get a different logical and emotional response from the show. Thirdly, thank you for the long description of your views and the quotes from CSP.

You are interested in "fours"?  Interesting.
About 10 - 15 years ago, I read a book authored by a physicist (the name of it escapes me this morning) that asserted that ten facets of "complexity" existed. The author's rational for complexity completely ignored chemistry and most of biology / medicine. I thought the ten categories were completely misguided, merely a re-statement of applied mathematics. My visceral response was to list a chemical perspective of complexity of life in terms of two sets of four terms each, one set for internal relations and the other set for external relations. The first four (bio-logic) categories, from the perspective of a (biochemist / geneticist) experimentalist were: closure, conformation, concatenation, and cyclicity. If you will send me your surface mail address (offline), I will forward them to you.

Historically, this categorization eventually lead me to work with Ehresmann and, subsequently, more than a decade of discussions on the relations between chemistry and mathematics and consciousness. (I posted her website address earlier.) Since I retired from NIH, I have had the opportunity to focus on the nature of mathematics and take a class most semesters. The consequence of the discussions with Ehresmann and the attempts to integrate mathematics, biochemistry and consciousness are many. I now see Greek mathematics as the source of chemical mathematics. Although chemical structures lack boundaries, the logic of chemistry is intimately associated with the internal logic or relations and the external logic of relations. Such a categorization is not possible if one presupposes that "mass" is a mathematical "point". In an informal way, one might say that this distinction separates the logic of chemistry from the logic of physics. Even though chemists work with individual, invisible and indivisible objects, we suppose that each object has a unique internal structure, that it is species with internal relations. After one strips away the hubris that accompanies the public perception of quantum mechanics, one finds that the mathematics of quantum chemistry is merely a long list of approximations, carefully guided by experimental data. Quantum chemistry is very useful in many many ways, especially in estimating the properties of structures. But, it is not a theory of chemistry! The imagination of chemistry necessitates a "deep structure" that is generative of relations, as CSP recognized. My work recently came to closure with an electrical theory of chemistry that I will talk about at the Whitehead Symposium in Salzburg in July and other meetings in Europe this summer. The electrical theory of chemistry is a pragmatic source of biosemiotics.

BTW, in the face of persuasive arguments from other system scientists, the gradual de-construction of my ad hoc categories more or less forced me into the history of scientific logic and hence to Porphyrean trees and Aristotle and hence to Greek mathematics. As I mentioned in another post, decision theory remains a central source of scientific logic and, of, course, the semantics of mathematics. I agree with Rosen that modern science and medicine is closer to Aristotle. It is my view that Kant's narrative suffer from the burden of mis-guided Newtonism.

(The long digression is of doubtful interest to CSP philosophers but it is at least tangential to CSP's work and interpretation and Rosen. I qualify as an interpretant!)

Can you guide me toward your work on fours?

Thanks again for your clarifications.

Cheers

Jerry