Bernard Morand mention in a message my assertion claimed in my book
"L'alg¨bre des signes" according to many trichotomies among the 10
trichotomies are redundant.

Here are my arguments, exposed on the case of the trichotomie number IV
concerning "the relation of the sign to the dynamic objet" :

By the trichotomy number I ( The sign itself, the mode of apprehension of
the sign itself" ) we know the categorial membership of the sign ( 1, 2 or
3 ); by the trichotomy number III (the Mode of Being of the dynamical
object) we know the categorial membership of the dynamic object (1,2 or 3).
In view that the dynamical object determine the sign we have the following
possibilities :

If the Mode of apprehension of the sign is 3, the Mode of Being of the
Dynamical object is 3 and their relation is categorically determined by the
pair (3,3). The sign is a symbol.

If the Mode of apprehension of the sign is 2, the Mode of Being of the
Dynamical object is 3 or 2  and their relation is categorically determined
by the pair (3,2) or by the pair (2,2). In both cases the sign is an index.
( respectively legisign or sinsign)

If the Mode of apprehension of the sign is 1, the Mode of Being of the
Dynamical object is 3 or 2 or 1 and their relation is categorically
determined by the pair (3,1) or by the pair (2,1)or by the pair (1,1). In
the three cases the sign is an icon ( respectively legisign or sinsign or
qualisign).

Whatever the case the trichotomie n¨ IV is enterely determined by the
trichotomies I and III and consequently the distinction brought forth this
trichotomie is not operative and I conclude that is redundant.

The same argument can be advanced for the trichotomies VII and IX, generally
for the trichotomies concerning relations betwen elements of which the
nature is  otherwise know .

The case of tne trichotomie number X is different and I admit willingly that
I don't see what can be a trichotomy of a triadic relation especially when I
represent It by a branching Y. If anyone can give to me an idea on this
matter I should be grateful to him...

Robert Marty
http://robert.marty.perso.cegetel.net/