Hi Bill, you wrote:

I think it is not very useful to speak of signs as existing in the same process as existential objects, but if we must, perhaps we can say, "Yes, signs exist, but much faster than objects do."

Well yes I guess so. The sign function may be construed (rather simplistically) as an event where some "segment" of "expression continuum" is perceived as entering into, or being brought into, relation with some "segment" of "meaning continuum".

If we are considering any kind of culturally contingent sign processes we normally will have to try and take into account the varying amounts of time and energy consumption and different forms of effort that are associated with our semiotic "use" of the many different possible forms and mediums of expression that may be brought into play during the course of sign production and interpretation processes.

Thought is just one of these.

Thoughts flash by, words take longer to speak, and even longer to write down - especially if we want others to understand what they are supposed to mean.

The production of cinema, theatre and ballet performances, each will have their own specific time and energy consumption requirements.

Diagrams, sketches and pictures written on paper have their own time and energy consumption requirements, "digital" variants of the same objects theirs.

But it seems to me that if we adopt a process perspective on semiosis, what becomes central is that the "existence" of both signs and objects becomes conceivable of as a transient form of "reality" (of varying durability and speed), and it also seems feasible that the inherent transience of signs and objects, and the various types of transitivity that may be attributed to them in the course of the (intersubjective, or other) negotiation of their potential meanings in different situations and contexts must be closely interrelated aspects of this "reality" and/or "existence".

Best regards

Patrick
--

Patrick J. Coppock
Researcher: Philosophy and Theory of Language