From: "Clark Goble" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Peirce Discussion Forum"
Subject: [peirce-l] RE: Peirce and Fuzzy Logic
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 23:54:47 -0600

On Jul 19, 2006, at 11:08 PM, Michael J. DeLaurentis wrote:

Clark -- I can't do this justice since I'm leaving town shortly, but I'm
sure someone else will pick up on Peirce's Harvard lecture, in Reasoning and
the Logic of Things (RLT), on the logic of continuity, the chalk line on the
blackboard, and those indefinite, ontologically vague [in the sense that
"the boundary between the black and white is neither black, nor white, nor
neither, nor both. It is the pairedness of the two."] qualities, at spatial
and temporal boundaries of emergence, not unrelated to the very brief
exchange Joe and I had a week or so back on ontological/metaphysical
asymptotes, so to speak. The very fine introduction to RLT of Ketner and
Putnam spells it out fairly succinctly.

Thank you so much.  I just placed an order for that collection.  I unfortunately only have the Essential Peirce at home.

Does he arrive at a scheme of fuzzy logic akin to Zadeh's?

That is, even from my readings I can see how Peirce's thought entails fuzzy logic.  Due to his doctrine of continuity and vagueness if nothing else.  I just wasn't aware how explicit he made this logically.

Clark
---
Message from peirce-l forum to subscriber [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Irving H. Anellis

[EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.peircepublishing.com