From: "gnusystems" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Peirce Discussion Forum" <peirce-l@lyris.ttu.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 2:39 PM
Subject: [peirce-l] Re: MS 403 available at Arisbe

Joe, i think we all owe you a round of thanks for your transcription of
MS 403, especially those of us who are relative newcomers to the study
of Peirce. After several readings of the "New List" paper i still find
it a tough nut to crack, and this 1893 version makes it much more
accessible. In fact i would advise beginners in Peirce studies to try MS
403 (and 404) first and the 1867 paper later. Terminologically, the "New
List" paper seems to have a very hard crust, perhaps the result of its
conceptual content having been "in the oven" for three or four years
before reaching its published form -- guaranteeing that its language
would be transparent for its author, however opaque it may be for the
average reader. I think MS 403 shows Peirce making some progress toward
making his expression as "elementary" for the public as his categories
were already "elementary" in the logical sense.

Or maybe i'm reading my own progress as a reader into it ... i'd like to
hear a real beginner's testimony as to which version makes more
immediate sense. (I wonder if it would work better to put the sections
from 1867 after the 1893 versions of each section?)

The new footnotes also reveal some unexpected implications and
connections (unexpected by me, anyway).  -- As for MS 339D.663f, i'm
still struggling with that one.

        gary

}Drawing nearer to take our slant at it (since after all it has met with
misfortune while all underground), let us see all there may remain to be
seen. [Finnegans Wake 113]{

gnusystems }{ Pam Jackson & Gary Fuhrman }{ Manitoulin University
         }{ [EMAIL PROTECTED] }{ http://users.vianet.ca/gnox/ }{

---
Message from peirce-l forum to subscriber [EMAIL PROTECTED]