Dear Joe Ransdell,

I have a bibliograpical question to you on something you wrote on determination. I saw this passage from a paper by Antônio Gomes, Ricardo Gudwin & João Queiroz:

= = = = QUOTE:

Determination provides the way the triad elements are arranged to form a sign. According to Peirce

"The sign is determined by the object relatively to the interpretant, and determines the interpretant in reference to the object in such a way as to cause the interpretant to be determined by the object through the mediation of the sign" (MS 318:81).
These determinations can be rewritten as:
1.      O determines S relatively to I
2.      S determines I relatively to O
According to Ransdell (1983:23), determination encompasses a both causal and logical idea. In this context, how do these causal and logical modes operate?

= = = = = UNQUOTE

(from in section 3.2 in the paper by Antônio Gomes, Ricardo Gudwin & João Queiroz, "Towards Meaning Processes in Computers from Peircean Semiotics" published in the online journal SEED vol. 3 (2), November 2003, here: http://www.library.utoronto.ca/see/SEED/Vol3-2/Queiroz_3-2.htm ).

In the references, the reference to your 1983 paper is
"Ransdell, J. Peircean semiotics, 1983. (unpublished)."

Is that a paper that has been published later, or eventually, do you have written on this issue in other papers, e.g. to be found at Arisbe ?

Best regards,
Claus