Ben:

If I am understanding you correctly you are saying that all semeiosis is at
least incipiently self-reflexive or self-reflective or in other words
self-controlled AND that the adequate philosophical description of it will
REQUIRE appeal to a fourth factor (which is somehow of the essence of
verification) in addition to the appeal to the presence of a sign, of an
object, and of an interpretant, allowing of course for the possibility of
there being more than one of any or all of these, as is no doubt essential
for anything of the nature of a process.  The appeal to the additional kind
of factor would presumably have to be an appeal to something of the nature
of a quadratic relational character.  To be sure, any given semeiosis might
involve the fourth factor only in a triply degenerate form, just as the
third factor might be degenerate in a double degree in some cases, which is
to say that the fourth factor might go unnoticed in a single semeiosis, just
as thirdness might go unnoticed in a single semeiosis.

That seems possible.  Is that your view?  I pose it in this abstract way to
make sure we are talking about something on par with the sign, the object,
and the interpretant.  If so how do you know that semeiosis cannot be
adequately described without recourse to that factor, i.e. cannot be
described on the basis of an appeal to some complexity possible through
recursion and referential reflexivity involving only three kinds of elements
or factors -- as Peirce would have to claim?

Joe

Joseph Ransdell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

.