"Michal A. Valasek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello,

Hi Michal

I'm sending the reply to the PEL devel list -- please send your

> I'm trying to find out how/if I can set custom fields in Exif-kind
> metadata (I need to store some quality rating information). I was
> unable to find anything in Exif specification and one of few
> messages regarding this theme I found via google is from you at
> http://www.mail-archive.com/pel-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00074.html.
>
> You wrote: "So you want to use non-standard fields instead of the
> standard ones? Then simply assign a tag value greater than 0xF000 to
> them. PEL will then accept them as custom tags."
>
> I would like to know where you got the value? It's some kind of
> standard specification (I was trying to find it in Exif 2.2 with no
> success) or it's only implementation-specific feature of PEL?

No, it was a hack I introduced at some point when I made PEL check
that the tags are put in the correct IFDs. An ImageWidth tag should be
in an IFD0 or IFD1, but not in the EXIF IFD.

Tag numbers greater than 0xF000 are ignored for this check. There are
no official tags with so large values as far I know, so I hope this is
safe. Input from TIFF experts (the tags are really TIFF tags) would be
greatly appreciated!

You can find more information about the TIFF tags (of which the EXIF
tags are a subset) here:

  http://www.awaresystems.be/imaging/tiff/tifftags/private.html

--
Martin Geisler  ---  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  ---  http://mgeisler.net