WELFARE
Happy WMD

With 2010 designated as "Year of the Seafarer", this year's World Maritime Day
aimed to draw attention to the unique circumstances within which seafarers
spend their working lives, while rendering their indispensable services, but
also to make a palpable and beneficial difference.

IMO head honcho Mr. Mitropoulos said, "In selecting the "Year of the Seafarer"
theme, our intention was also to use it as an excellent opportunity to reassure
those who labour at the "sharp end" of the industry – the seafarers themselves
– that those of us who work in other areas of the maritime community, and yet
whose actions have a direct bearing on seafarers' everyday lives, understand
the extreme pressures they face and approach our tasks with genuine interest
and concern for them and their families".

He went on to ask the industry to maintain high standards for staff, request
that politicians shouldered the responsibility for policies ensuring companies
implemented safe working practices and acceptable conditions. He asked for even
handed treatment for seafarers caught up in legal disputes and for educators to
stress the range and importance of maritime jobs.

To seafarers Mr. Mitropoulos said: "The entire maritime community appreciates
you and your indispensable services; is aware of the conditions under which you
operate; shows compassion for the sacrifices you make; does care for you; and
works to ensure your safety and security, praying that you always have calm
seas, fair winds and a safe return home – which it wishes you wholeheartedly."

Fine words, wonderful sentiments, and a real shot in the arm for all those
already at sea...but can this work to bring the next generation on stream and
up the gangway? WMD must represent more than just begging for the minimum of
respect and decency. It must serve as a beacon to make seafaring "sexy" once
more. The fear remains that not only is it dangerous and with a fair chance of
jail time, but that the fun has gone.

Nowadays, zero feelgood factor = zero interest. We live in an age when people
want more and more. Sadly it seems we can only offer them less and less.
Fingers crossed we can be a tad more uplifting next year!

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: