Flag state clarifies ECDIS training requirements
(Feb  11  2011)

The MCA has issued a new information note (MIN405 (M+F)) that clarifies what
training is acceptable for Masters and all deck officers of UK flagged vessels,
which have ECDIS as their primary means of navigation.

The document states categorically the requirement to complete both generic and
equipment specific ECDIS training and goes further by stating that 'trickle
down' training with regard to equipment specific training is not acceptable.

Mark Broster, ECDIS Ltd managing director, said; "This is excellent news as the
MCA have provided UK mariners with the clarification they seek with regard to
ECDIS training. As a training provider we pride ourselves on delivering the
very best ECDIS training available and it is commendable to see that the MCA
are upholding those standards by insisting on proper training.

"We know only too well the difficulty that shipowners, managers and mariners
are having in making sense of the plethora of legislation regarding ECDIS, and
this document goes a long way in clarifying the position for UK flagged
vessels," he concluded.

Malcolm Instone, director of operations & standards at ECDIS Ltd continued,
"This is not the light at the end of the tunnel for shipping companies, but the
headlight of the oncoming train. Shipping companies must now plan their
training strategy to incorporate generic and equipment specific ECDIS training
for their crews. This is quite a challenge, but we are here to help them tackle
the problem head on and facilitate that end.

"Information about ECDIS regulations, including MIN405 is also available at
www.ECDISregs.com to aid the mariner navigate the legislation and
requirements," he explained.

====== fm tanker operator ============

<*> Your email settings: