Keeping Japan's meltdowns at arm's length
SHIPPING companies with vessels sailing to Japan are taking varied precautions
today in view of the country's threatened nuclear meltdowns.

Maersk (Asia Pacific Region) CEO Thomas Knudsen told Fairplay: "Every shipping
company that is doing business in Japan would be monitoring the radiation
levels. Our office in Japan is operating normally, and staff there are looking
at the hourly news updates."

Knudsen said Maersk's shipments to Japan have been unaffected, with all but 10%
of these unloaded outside the danger zone, at Kobe, Yokohama, Osaka and Tokyo.

Neptune Orient Lines spokesman Mike Zampa told Fairplay: "We have advised
vessels sailing to Kobe and Yokohama to keep a minimum 200 n-miles from the
affected area. Otherwise, our operations remain normal."

An NYK Line spokesman said: "There are debris from the tsunami near the struck
area, so it's better to stay away. And since there is no cargo to load or
unload, there is no reason to be close to the tsunami-hit area."

Japanese authorities, who have ordered ships to stay 30km offshore, said
yesterday that the reactors of the damaged Fukushima Daini nuclear power plant
are safely under control.

But not everyone is convinced. A Shanghai broker whose clients are Chinese box
carriers told Fairplay: "My clients are telling me their crew members are
worried about sailing, but as long as there is cargo to be shipped to Japan, it
is business as usual."

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: