Putting the case for the Philippines

Jun 14 2013

"Germany and the EU cannot possibly have world-class efficient commercial ships
manned by Filipinos today and world-class efficient ships without Filipinos on
board tomorrow."
So said Vice President of the Philippines Jejomar Binay at a maritime round
table held at Class Society Germanischer Lloyd (GL) recently.
One of the most critical factors to ensuring safety at sea is the human
element. Without an able and experienced crew and officers, the most modern and
well designed vessel cannot promise safety. Filipino seafarers are at the heart
of the maritime industry, making up almost one third of working seamen on
trading vessels, he explained.
Binay arrived in Hamburg for the meeting, focused on the Filipino seafarer,
after a visit to Berlin, where he met with Dr Guido Westerwelle, German's
Foreign Minister.
In Hamburg, he called on the more than 60 representatives of the maritime
community, including leading shipping management and shipbuilding companies, to
provide assistance and support in the upcoming audit of the country's
compliance with the STCW Convention by the European Maritime Safety Agency
(EMSA).
Compliance is essential if Filipino seafarers are to continue to sail on EU
flagged vessels.

There are some 40,000 Filipino seafarers on German-owned vessels and Binay
noted that; "Our most pressing duty right now is to keep the Filipino
seafarers, with your able and gracious assistance, on board the EU-flagged
ships sailing the seven seas. We take our STCW compliance very seriously and
are determined to make sure this issue is addressed fully by the time the next
EMSA audit is conducted in October."

=== = fm tanker operator ======

PS:
MUNGKIN KITA PERLU NYURUH EYANG SUBUR UNTUK PROMOSI.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: