Brad DeLong writes:

>This is a very big problem. People like Michael Keaney--people with
>no social skills whatsoever, who never learned how to behave in any
>company, polite or not--ruined USENET as a forum. In my view,
>the--unfortunate--prevalence of such <censoreds> makes an unmoderated
>email list unsustainable and non-viable in the long run.

I wonder if the chair would be so kind as to ask Professor DeLong to name
names.

It's interesting to contrast the Usenet groups sci.econ and sci.math. There
is lots of ongoing discussion on sci.math. There was, for a while, somebody
on sci.math going on about "evil Cantorians". There has been a participant
for a number of years who has  asserted he has an elementary proof of
Fermat's last theorem. Yet these sort of people don't make sci.math
unusable.

And the moderator on sci.econ.research was changed a long time ago.