> What is the Bray book?  There is a 1983 book on rice, but no 1986 book
> that I could find.

Actually, I did not indicate the date of publication for the Bray
quotes I cited below. The 1983/1992 date refers to Elvin whom I
quoted and cited right after I first quoted Bray. (It is really Caroline
Blunden and Mark Elvin [1983] 1992, *The Cultural Atlas of the
World, CHINA*)

As far as I know, Bray has two major publications:

1984. Agriculture. Part II of Vol. 6, Biology and Biological
Technology (Vol. 41 overall) In Joseph Needham, ed., Science and
Civilization in China. Cambridge Press.

1986. The Rice Economies: Technology and Development in Asian
Societies. Oxford Press.

The passages I cited below came from her 1984 book, a 700 page
masterpiece on China's agricultural experience. Landes includes
only Bray's *Rice Economies* in his extensive bibliography in
*Wealth and Poverty*. Although Bray makes a powerful case that
we should *not* rely solely on western criteria of progress, David
Landes practically ignores her  book, never cites her, and goes on
to argue that China's otherwise sophisticated agriculture, with its
superior caloric yield per acre, promoted high population densities,
created cheap labor and did not encourage labor-saving
innovations,  "left little room for animals",  and required intensive
use of labor per area to achieve higher yields.

"State and the society were always striving for new land and higher
yields, making and using people in order to feed people...No time,
then, for fun or money. Only for growing food and making children"
(p24).

But anyone who has made the effort to, at least, read some
sections (as I did) of Bray's 1984 *Agriculture*, cannot but be
impressed by the incredible labor skills that went into achieving
China's yields per area; yields that England did not match even
after her own land-saving/labor intensive "agricultural revolution" of
the 18th century (and perhaps even through most of the
mechanized revolution of the 19th century).

Yet, strangely enough, Pomeranz is also rather silent about Bray.
One would think a book that has made so much about China's
superior land-saving innovations, would go into some details on this
matter. P mentions Bray's agricultural work only two times and
only in footnotes!! : 1) p33 to back claim re China's highest
agricultural yields and  that rice cultivation does not require as
much animal power; 2) p45 only in passing in a footnote which just
says "On Chinese agricultural technology generally see Bray 1984"

He himself does not write/elaborate on this agricultural technology
and on how these yields were achieved. I suspect, as I have been
suggesting here, that an examination of China's land productivity
could open the door to ecological questions that P would rather
ignore. Some might say that China's agricultural achievements are
known enough that P  does not have to investigate how they were
achieved, or the technolgies that were involved; that he also, in
fact, does not write much about Europe's labor-saving innovations.
Well, yes, that's his choice. But I can't help wonering why P would
give, for example, 5 to 6 dense pages of critical analysis to a 20
page article by Goldstone on 'Gender, Work, and Culture', but
could not do the same to Bray's 700 page book. (But you never
know, I once heard a guy talking and talking about gender issues
though he looked like he had never boiled an egg in his life).