I know of no non-mainstream texts in public finance.
If anyone does, please enlighten me.  All of the
following are basically neo-classical.

Stiglitz' book is easier to read and the
layout is more accessible, though it has
some cryptic passages. (not to be confused
with his grad text w/Atkinson).

Boadway and Wildasin is very comprehensive
and workmanlike.  Nice fellas, but very
abstract/academic.

Brown and Jackson is nice and more progressive
than B&W.  Talks about wealth taxation, for
instance.

The classic is Musgrave & Musgrave.  This is
pretty old, so I would check to see when it
was last revised.

Harvey Rosen has one I've never looked at, but
it's probably o.k.  The Buchananoids have a
couple floating around that you should endeavor
to avoid.

mbs