At 23/05/01 09:00 -0700, you wrote:

>China may have one of the biggest economies, but it also has the most
>mouths to feed.

This man Burki argues

>Conventional wisdom used to hold that developing countries with ever
>expanding populations were doomed to poverty because rising population
>would eat up whatever economic gains they made. But as countries like
>China, India, Brazil and Mexico learn to manage their economies better,
>their size becomes an advantage.

Now you *could* argue that this position is consistent with the law of
value being based on labour power.

BTW I would appreciate an explanation of PPP and what aspect of an economy
that is likely to favour in calculating comparisons.

Ultimately this issue may be about the relative strength of living labour
versus dead labour.

Chris Burford

London