Why quantitative estimates may be hard to come by, my colleagues building
models are better positioned than I am, it is evident that there is a lot
of production undertaken in the Third World that show up in the core
economies (globalization, internationalization, whatever).  The point is
that the poor in the Third World, if engaged in multinational
production, (I can think of lots of little operations in Dharavi,
may be the world's largest slum (in Mumbai) where MNCs outsource lots of
things.)  But it is true that most of the TW are not part of this global
economy.  China is enough to subsidize the US with its low wage
production.  India may be in the future.  If we understand production in
terms of value chains (production chain, etc.) then depending on where
the TW in question is placed in the value chain we will know how the
gains are being distributed.  As studies are showing higher value
segments (say design, marketing, branding) are still with core
economies, while the TW is at the lower end, which ironically includes
manufacturing.  I say ironically because previously terms of trade
moved adversely against primary product exports and now we are finding out
that even with exports of manufactures, the TOT is declining.  So while
the total market value contribution of this production is high (if
MNC profits/accumulation is any indication) the low end segment of
the chain is not, but without the latter, the former is difficult to
realize.  This is akin to immiserization, which Bhagwati talked about
some time ago.  Therefore, the face of imperialism has changed since
roughly two-thirds of global FDI is still within the core economies.

Cheers, Anthony
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Anthony P. D'Costa
Associate Professor                             Ph: (253) 692-4462
Comparative International Development           Fax: (253) 692-5718
University of Washington                        Box Number: 358436
1900 Commerce Street
Tacoma, WA 98402, USA