On Sat, 29 Jan 1994, Ben Crow wrote:

> I am posting this (hasty) note to ask if others have read the report.
> I recommend it as an interesting read, unusual in its
> recognition of alternative political economy explanations.
> Ultimately, it confirms my view that the Bank falls into the
> statistical category one of my students found in an Indian
> government survey investigating why hill people did not attend
> school: 'no aptitude for education' (64% were deemed to fall in
> this category).

My first thought when I read this message was that I'd pick up the report
right away 'cause Saturday Night Live has been boring lately.  On second
thought it seems like we might have an opportunity to make a stink; I
remember from time to time, people on pen-l have been talking about
finding a way to propagandize about certain issues (having the URPE board
write something on NAFTA came up; an alternative Nobel Prize also did).
It seems like this might be another issue to go on the offensive about,
since the WB has actually in some sense "taken the bait."  Calling
Amsden's work "revisionist" may be defeatable even on a steep playing
fiels since the level of argumentation goes pretty steep in the other
direction.  Is there anything anyone thinks we can do?

Say Cheese,
Tavis