This is indeed an important question. You could say that it's done through
the mysticism of brand identity, which price-cutting would undermine. But
what about more commodified industrial goods like cars and appliances. Why
is the cost-cutting from production in Mexico not translating into lower
prices? Surely durable goods prices are increasing less rapidly than the
prices of nondurables, but the profit recovery of US auto companies
suggests that the markup has increased. How can this be with lots of slack
in the macroeconomy and an apparent intensification of competition around
the globe? How too did banks keep the spread between loan and deposit
interest rates high during the recent, and now apparently fading, period
of low interest rates?

Doug

Doug Henwood [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Left Business Observer