I have no explanation for why shoe industries may need to generate internal
funds.  Maybe some pen-ller has?    Perhaps, if so, its for r and d, to
meet Nike's advertising strategy, to build plants in other countries,
to meet demand for running shoes in other parts of the world (making up
transaction costs in order to gain a greater market share in other
countries?)?  Since I don't know the shoe industry it's all speculation
based on the assumption that these are homogenous goods.

People (including myself) seem to have pretty strong preferences for
their shoes.  Finding a "good fit" may not even be swayed by moral appeal!

Gotta run!
In running pen-ller solidarity,
Heather Grob ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).