I am not sure what Doug means by "transient" teenage women.  Malaysia is
largely an Islamic nation, with other ethnic groups like the Indians and
Chinese.  By transient it implies that family structures are loose and
women are significantly mobile.  I think both of these implied
characterizations of Malaysian society are false.  While it is true that
female wage rates are lower in South East Asia and other
developing economies than in North America being "transient" has little
to do with them.  Capitalist development has brought about social changes
but at the same time time strengthened indigenous movements, witness the
Bumiputra policies in Malaysia.

Anthony D'Costa
U of Washington

 on top of that it is women are