Sam Lanfranco write:

.. [lots of good stuff deleted]

>What we need is an ability to flexibly configure, reconfigure, archive and
>close down multiple virtual workspaces "in the same neighbourhood". The
>CSU site has become our community storage locker of sorts, but we still only
>have one meeting room. We need the capacity to set up sub-groups "on the fly"
>and we need to persuade ourselves to become "rapportours" to report back what
>happened in our block. This means we are going to have to figure out how to
>command more of the abundant resource (listservs, gopher sites, etc.) and how
>to 'ZONE" them for appropriate use. By zoning I don't mean passing virtual
>laws saying what is done where, I mean setting polite rules of conduct which
>govern what consenting adults can do where on "our" part of the internet.

.. [lots more good stuff deleted]

Sort of sounds like "gopher" or the Unix Usenet news, both of which have a
hierarchical structure.  If we're stuck with internet/bitnet mailing lists,
one possiblility would be more heavy moderation: with summaries of postings
and subject classification.

Marsh Feldman
Community Planning                      Phone: 401/792-2248
204 Rodman Hall                           FAX: 401/792-4395
University of Rhode Island           Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Kingston, RI 02881-0815