I intended to post the following to PEN-L as an example of email activism.
I think I forgot, but it is short so here it is (again?) - Sam Lanfranco
                                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From:         Lucas Rosenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:      URGENT Justice in onion fields

URGENT ACTION FOR JUSTICE IN THE ONION FIELDS

Please support the UFW in their current struggle to improve wages
and working and living conditions for thousands of workers who pick
onions here in the Rio Grande Valley and throughout the country.
The text below is currently being distributed in the form of a
postcard which can be addressed to onion growers and distributors
so that consumers and other citizens can show their concern and
solidarity.  Please help by researching names and addresses of
onion growers and distributors in your area and copying this text
so that more consumers can show their support.

One of the largest onion-growing conglomerates, with operations
both in the US and Mexico, is Griffin & Brand.  If you are not
aware of any other onion growers in your area, please send
postcards and letters to Othal Brand (also mayor of McAllen, TX).
The address is:
     Othal Brand
     Griffin & Brand
     PO Box 1840
     McAllen, TX 78505-1840

!! VIVA LA CAUSA !!  Cesar, tu memoria vive en la lucha...

SAMPLE TEXT OF POSTCARD / LETTER - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dear __________,

You have been paying farmworkers 50-60 cents per onion sack
weighing approximately 70-80 lbs.  As consumers we pay up to 89
cents/lb for onions.  Workers receive less than 1 cent/lb of what
we pay for onions at the market.  The rest of the food industry,
from the grower to the grocer, lives well in comparison to the men,
women and children who harvest the onions.

Also you have been requiring workers to harvest onions in a 6-
gallon container, which weighs about 35-40 pounds when full.  Using
this heavy container increases the risk of disabling back problems
common among farm workers.  We urge you to quit this practice now
and allow workers to use the smaller 5-gallon container.

Exploitation of farmworkers is unacceptable to us.  We stand with
the farm workers in their effort to raise onion wages to $1.25 a
sack and to use the 5-gallon harvesting container.  We urge you to
be socially responsible in your business practice.