/* Written 12:25 PM  Jun 21, 1994 by foedc in igc:trade.strategy */
/* ---------- "NATIONAL GATT CALL IN DAY ALERT" ---------- */

 *** GATT ACTION ALERT ***

The Clinton Administration intends to introduce GATT into Congress before July 1,
1994, and has no intention of offsetting the $40 billion in tariff losses unless we
show
them that it will cost them politically.

IF WE ACT NOW WE CAN STOP THE INTRODUCTION OF GATT!!!

If passed, GATT would:

 Undermine our Sovereignty by allowing foreign countries to challenge U.S. laws in
front
of a panel of trade bureaucrats in Geneva, Switzerland.

 Force family farmers out of business.

 Hurt the Environment by undermining key protections such as the Marine Mammal
Protection Act and the Gas Guzzler Tax.

 Wipe out 1.6 million jobs in the apparel and textile industry alone.

 Increase the Deficit, due to the fact that GATT will result in a loss of over $40
billion in
tariff revenue over the next decade.

Remember, the White House wants to introduce implementing legislation for GATT next
week.  We must act now to stop this terrible trade deal.

What you can do:

1.  On Tuesday, June 28th, call all U.S. Senators at (202) 224-3121.

Tell them to protect U.S. sovereignty.  Tell them that they were elected to preserve
the
environment.  Tell them you're tired of bigger deficits, higher taxes and more
excuses.    Tell
them to stop the rush to pass the GATT!

2.  Contact at least 10 friends and co-workers and urge them to call the Senate. Tell
them how
important their voice is in the fight to stop GATT.

Only by making ourselves heard can we win this fight.  Please get as many people as
possible
to call the Senate.

For more information, please contact the Citizens Trade Campaign at 1025 Vermont Ave.
NW,
Washington, D.C. 20005.  Phone: (202) 879-4297.  Fax (202) 783-0444