I'll be teaching intro to micro next term, and I'm looking for a book
that I can use as an antidote to the Friedmans' Free to Choose (please
don't recommend Free to Lose).  I'm looking for something that
explains the nature of a market economy from the perspective not of
the so-called "free will, methodological individualist" view, but
rather of one satisfying the "needs of capital", where preferences are
endogenous, where income distribution and class play prominent roles,
and where current issues such as race, class, gender, environment,
etc., are covered.  Winning lottery numbers would help, also.
Seriously, though, the right seems to have many more spokespersons who
rationalize and legitimize the "objectivity" of the market mechanism,
than do those on the left.  Any suggestions?  Remember, I'm talking
about an audience of 19 and 20 year olds who don't handle terribly
sophisticated arguments, and yet who are easily persuaded by the
folksy yarns spun by the Friedmans, et al.   Thanks in advance,  Roy

Roy J. Rotheim                  INTERNET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Economics         BITNET:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Skidmore College                PHONE:    (518) 584-5000 Ext.2350
Saratoga Springs                FAX:      (518) 584-3023
New York 12866

End of network mail