>Posted on 12 Sep 1994 at 11:15:13 by Uriacc Mailer (002033)
>
>Broken vows & Coase
>
>Date: Mon, 12 Sep 1994 08:14:01 -0700
>From: Doug Henwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Well the vote was 10-0 for me to unzip my lips. I'll celebrate the
>occasion by asking a question instead of issuing a pronunciamento.
>
>Actually I think I asked this question some time ago, but don't recall
>getting much in the way of answers. Do PEN-Lers have, or know of, any
>critiques of Coase's theorem of why firms exist? Relatedly, are there any
>Marxian theories of the firm?

Well, in Coasian terms I don't know of any.  I.e. is there a Marxian theory
of why a rational capitalist would not have either one big firm or a completely
disintegrated one.  But if we leave rational decision making aside, I think
Marx's work on the concentration and centralization of capital (it's been a
while since I read Das Kap, but I think old greybeard had a fair amount of
stuff directly related to why new firms form too) is germaine here.
Also Marglin's What do bosses do? seems apropos.

>Doug
>
>Doug Henwood [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>Left Business Observer
>212-874-4020 (voice)
>212-874-3137 (fax)

Marsh Feldman
Community Planning                      Phone: 401/792-2248
204 Rodman Hall                           FAX: 401/792-4395
University of Rhode Island           Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Kingston, RI 02881-0815

"Marginality confers legitimacy on one's contrariness."