>Posted on 12 Oct 1994 at 12:02:54 by TELEC List Distributor (011802)
>
>Re: "Nobel" prizes in Econ.
>
>Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 08:45:28 -0700
>From: Doug Henwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>Is there any room in game theory for power  - political, market, or
>class? Or is it just a game among equals and individuals?
>
>Doug
>
>Doug Henwood [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>Left Business Observer
>212-874-4020 (voice)
>212-874-3137 (fax)

Doug,

It's been 25 years since I took game theory.  Since I took it in an
OR program rather than in an economics program, our math was probably a
bit more complex and our social theory a bit more simplistic but less
naive.  One thing I recall game theory being good for is thinking about
different notions of power -- mostly Weberian (i.e. interpersonal) notions,
mind you, but power nonetheless.

Marsh Feldman
Community Planning                      Phone: 401/792-2248
204 Rodman Hall                           FAX: 401/792-4395
University of Rhode Island           Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Kingston, RI 02881-0815

"Marginality confers legitimacy on one's contrariness."