About 2 years ago the Conservative government of Canada lowered the
Unemployment Insurance rate to 57% of weekly employment earnings. I
believe that the Liberals who replaced the Tories one year ago reduced
the rate further in their first budget this past spring. 53% comes to
mind, but I'm not sure. Perhaps someone can provide that figure.

The first cut, to 57%, triggered a massive show of anger. Within days there
was a demonstration of, if my memory is correct, about 50,000 in Montreal
and later a few thousand in Toronto. Cuts to UI was prpobably the number
one issue which drew 100,000 to an anti-Tory protest in Ottawa on May 1, 1993.
There was also alot of trashing of government and Tory offices by angry
workers. Unfortunately, the Liberals got away with their cuts with little
opposition. They're still quite popular, mainly because they're not
the Conservatives. Nevertheless, the Liberals are implementing the same
agenda of cutting social programs, attacking immigrants, and so on.

Dan Shoom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>