I'm sorry, I can't let Jim Craven's savage misrepresentation of Herb
Gintis and his work go by without rebuttal.  I disagree strongly with
much of Herb's work; in fact I've spent a lot of time on this net
criticizing his and Sam's approach to "contested exchange."  Even so
I have no doubt about Herb's social and political concerns or his
intellectual independence.  Jim's suggestion that Gintis is a

>... sycophant...employed to push revisionist
> history, pollute the minds of young students with the likes of neo-
> classical bullshit ...

is malicious nonsense, as is his claim that Gintis believes that

> ... Wonderful conditions exist for all in the U.S.

Herb's failure to recite a litany of political atrocities before each
e- mailing should not be taken to indicate otherwise.

 And may I add that this is just the latest example of an aspect of
PEN-L that I most detest, namely the translation of legitimate, even
profound disagreements among us on the left into vicious
name-calling.

Argument ad hominem is the tool of our political opponents.  It has
no place on PEN-L.

Herb Gintis was chased off this net 2 years ago by this sort of
barbarity, and his departure is our loss, even if (possibly) most of
us disagree with his views.

C'mon, folks, we're a heterodox lot.  Of course we will disagree,
often fundamentally.  [Jim Craven and I, to take a random example,
probably approach economics in subtly distinct ways...] But please,
let's quit translating these differences into personal attacks.

Gil Skillman