Pen-llers might be interested...  H.Grob

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
From:   David Kettler, INTERNET:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
TO:     HEATHER GROB, 74762,1427
DATE:   11/10/94 9:21 PM
RE:     Re: Prop 187 in perspec

Talk of building power on public employee unions underestimates their
vulnerability and presupposes a concrete political program that I have not
read in any of the vituperations against the centrists or celebrations of
labor and progress, at least not yet.  I think that union activity in
defense of objectors of conscience against implementing 187 is exactly the
right first response--and social uses of law are not excluded.  The issue
is then personalized without sentimentalism or rhetoric: solidarity first
of all with the teacher or social worker or health worker who will not in
conscience heed the unjust law.  Things follow from such campaigns, but
they are sustainable and do not ignore where people's heads are.
David Kettler