Someone asked why college tuitions are skyrocketing much greater than the
rate of inflation. My understanding is that it has something to do with
boards of trustees, etc., undertaking massive capital improvement drives
(i.e. building high-tech bioengineering and other hard science labs) in
order to attract corporate-sponsored research. Of course, the corps. get
to reap the benefits of the patents, while the middle-class gets soaked
on tuition. At least that was the situation when I was an undergraduate
at a citadel of privelege, Oberlin College. Still, things are much worse
at the lower state and community college levels, where professors are being
laid off "professaratized," programs are being axed outright, AND tuitions
are scaling upwards astronomically. At least that's the case here in Cali-
fornia. Well, at least we have a governor who's got his priorities straight:
three strikes and YOURRRRRRRR .... OUT !!!

--John Gulick
  Sociology Graduate Program
  UC-Santa Cruz
  (Research focus: eco-Marxist sociology