Recently someone posted a msg asking for an increase in real world relevance
on PEN-L.  This is always a valid request, but a little off the mark.  It is
true that for the past couple of weeks, much of the discussion has focused
on how to analyze Nike and GE vs. Sraffa.  The latter addresses a long-running
intellectual debate in progressive econ on value theory.  Since many on PEN-l
are intellectuals, such an interest is to be expected.  If that was ALL PEN-l
ever discussed, we would have a really problem.  But it isn't.

The discussion of Nike has a real world application.  Many on PEN-L teach
progressive econ, in an environment that is hostile to that type of thought,
using books that denegrate that type of thought.  Finding ways to discredit
mainstream theory is critically important to what we do everyday.  I doubt
there is one teacher one PEN-L that did not benefit greatly from the Nike
discussion.

But beyond that, looking further back in PEN-L discussions, there have been
very useful debates on the impacts of NAFTA and how to organize in its wake.
It is now much clearer to all involve that NAFTA is not about trade, but about
special rights for Capital, to the detriment of all other sectors of the
economy.  May of the gains won thru organizing labor and other groups, from
the 30' thru the 70's have been reversed.  So what is the concrete response
recommended by progressive economists?  Organization now has to be on a global
scale.  Capital has destroyed national sovereignty, so organizing on that level
will no longer work.  What to attack?  The special rights of Capital.  If
TQM creates efficiency gains, force these gains to be shared amoung all
sectors of society, not just Capital.  How to do this?  Organize labor across
borders.  Organize environmentalists across borders.  Organize all NGO's
across borders.  Is seeing this as a solution enough?  Obviously not, we have
alot more to do to figure out how to actually accomplish this.  But seeing
the limitations of organizing that does not cross borders is the first step.

One more example.  SEveral months back, there was a detailed discussioon on the
nature of the evolution of financial markets world wide.  The real world
recommendations from that discussion?  Financial markets are stripping the
ability of democratically elected gov'ts to function for their people (assuming
that they even wanted to).  The way to address the issue?  Democratize
financial markets.  Abstract?  Yes, but many members have put forward concrete
politiacl proposals to move in that direction.  Books have been published,
bills introduced (and likely to fail without grassroots organizing), and
coalitions being built.

Fianlly, today Jim Devine posted a msg that I believe casts a brand new light
on the role of the "war on crime" in the U.S.  Not only is it a way to
destroy civil liberties, but it is also a way to replace the cold war as a
mechanism for the gov't to manage the inherent tendency toward crisis in the
macro economy.   With this new understanding, the entire dialog on the left
conserning the logic of the war on crime is likely to shift.  That is quite a
contribution.

Could progressive economists do more.  Yes, there is always more to do.  But,
PEN-L is helping us do it, and do it better, and that is enough for me.
Doug Orr
[EMAIL PROTECTED]