For one thing, inflation is not always and everywhere a monetary
phenomenon, as Uncle Miltie once put it. Inflation collapsed in Britain in
the early 1980s despite rapid money growth; the experience in the US was
similar, though the numbers were less dramatic. Lots of the credit growth
captured by the monetary aggregates went into financial and real estate
markets rather than goods. You can call those bull markets inflation, but
I don't think most mainstreamers would accept the label.

Doug

Doug Henwood [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Left Business Observer
212-874-4020 (voice)