Here's a question about S&L Balance Sheets:

I was lecturing the other night to my adult-ed class at Baruch and
was trying to talk about "disintermediation" and how all the nice
homely local S&L's got stuck with 5% mortgages when interest rates
skyed to 16% in the early 1980's.  Now one of my student's insisted
that in today's "financially innovative" environment S&L's would
never get burned again because they can get rid of the
inherent interest rate risk of home mortgages through "swap" and other
hedging strategies.  I responded that though they can diversify some
of the risk, the asset base of the local S&L is still comprised mainly
of home mortg's.  Moreover, New York State banking laws restrict how
active an S&L can manage their loan portfolio - otherwise they
would all become arbitrageurs and leave their nice safe offices out
in Queens and get a plush corner office on Wall street.

So, who out there in Pen-L land can help me with a useful response to
this nice student (yes, he is visting from mainland China, and yes
we had an interesting discussion about planning) before next Monday's
class?

Thanks
Jason Hecht

Jason Hecht