Trond your assumptions about the cause and effect relationship between
nationality and support for nationalist or internationalist positions on
progressive reform and the state is a misplaced one in my case.

I am a New Zealander who very much retains an empathy for the risks facing
small, open economies who has happened to be transplanted by fate to the
American Midwest. I've seen at close hand what free markets can do to a once
social democratic country like New Zealand. Perhaps I take a more cosmopolitan
approach because of the personal cross-cultural experiences I've had and
because of the intellectual influence of people like Myrdal who happened to
come from a small Scandinavian economy too. That aside, it obviously doesn't
establish the merits of one approach over another. Call this a personal
introduction if you will....

Cheers, Brent