I must register a disagreement with Jim Devine on the question of rationality
in neoclassical economics.  I DO think their view is non-tautological.
Rationality is generally defined as adherence to Von Neuman/Morgenstern (or
Friedman/Savage) expected utility, where the decision-maker selects the option
that maximizes the dot product of probabilities and values of potential
outcomes (all present value, of course).  There is a large literature on the
discrepancy between this model and real-world observed behavior, beginning
with the Allais paradox and extending to Kahneman & Tversky, Thaler, Frank,
etc.  (Simon should also be mentioned.)  My personal view is that the weakness
of the rationality assumption is one of the soft underbellies of neoclassical
theory, particularly since "near-rational" behavior leads to significantly
different outcomes (e.g. Akerlof & Yellen).  One of my interests is the
intersection of "thick" (non-NC) rationality and strategic behavior in
repeated games. I find this useful for understanding the emergence (or
eclipse) of solidarity, etc.

Peter Dorman