Evan Jones writes:
> ...  The character, fate of GM, IBM
> or any other real-life business entity, big or small, is of
> absolutely no consequence to neoclassical economics.  This herculean
> detachment is what gives NC economics its elegance and its longevity.

It strikes me that one could say the same thing about Marxian
economics.  Its criticism of capitalism stands independently of the
rise or fall of any particular "real-life entity".  On this score
recall Marx's comment in his preface to the first German edition of
_Capital_:  "...here individuals are dealt with only in so far as they
are the personifications of economic categories, embodiments of
particular class-relations and class interests."

Thus it's hard for me to see how Evan's comments stand as a criticism
of neoclassical economics in particular.

Gil Skillman