At  8:32 AM 1/13/95 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Evan Jones writes:
>> ...  The character, fate of GM, IBM
>> or any other real-life business entity, big or small, is of
>> absolutely no consequence to neoclassical economics.  This herculean
>> detachment is what gives NC economics its elegance and its longevity.
>
>It strikes me that one could say the same thing about Marxian
>economics.  Its criticism of capitalism stands independently of the
>rise or fall of any particular "real-life entity".  On this score
>recall Marx's comment in his preface to the first German edition of
>_Capital_:  "...here individuals are dealt with only in so far as they
>are the personifications of economic categories, embodiments of
>particular class-relations and class interests."

Yeah but Marx immersed himself in the details of his day to discover what
those essential relations and interests were/are. I see extensive
quotations from parliamentary reports, testimony, The Economist, popular
and scholarly tracts and treatises.... No dialectician would develop theory
in the pure abstract realm.

Doug Henwood
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Left Business Observer