At 3:36 PM 1/20/95, Jim Devine wrote:

>Should we apply the policy that most US catholics follow (i.e.,
>ignore him)? or waste time attacking him?

Sorry to clutter the list with theological dispute, but what the hell does
it mean to be Catholic if you don't accept the church, the pope, and the
rest of the hierarchy? Be a Whiskeypalian, or some other kind of renegade,
but why be Catholic?

>As the Holy Roman
>Catholic Church was to feudalism, the World Bank/IMF is to
>capitalism. It's a better use of time to attack the latter, no?

No no no! Don't take anticlericalism away from us! Religion is - often?
always? I'm open to argument - a system of domination and mystification, a
myth that people take literally. Call me old fashioned but it all seems
like superstition to me, and Enlightenment dinosaur that I am, I want it to
go away.

Religious metaphors are not inappropriate for analyzing what's wrong with
the WB/IMF complex. A system that promises salvation if certain painful
measures are taken; it's based on faith rather than reason and experience;
and it sends its emissaries on "missions." The Vatican & 19th St - hit 'em
both!

Doug Henwood
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Left Business Observer